Cataract surgery has the potential to greatly improve the quality of life so it is important not to delay having the operation for inappropriate reasons.
Nobody should delay surgery because of fear of the operation or because they have heard stories from friends which disturb them. It is appropriate to delay if you do not think the cataract is ready. Your eyecare professional will help you to assess this.
The sort of comments people make which lead them to have cataract surgery include:
- I am afraid of going to unfamiliar places because I worry that I may have a fall.
- I have stopped driving at night because the lights worry me.
- My eyesight bothers me a lot.
- I am having difficulty playing sport (eg bowls).
- I am having problems reading and sewing.